Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, October 5, 2012

getting breathed on

It's a cozy morning here in our old farmhouse. 
A little chilly, the walls are getting cold, 
ready for the warmth of our wood stove.
I just got done getting breathed on. 
It's one of my favorite things about having a baby in our home.
I lay next to her heavy sleeping body, all snuggled in our down bed.
I quietly place my face as close to hers as I can
nuzzled under her nose without really touching her, 
and I lay as still as possible.

 I close my eyes and open my ears and 
then all at once I feel it
Her little puffs of breath falling on me.
I hear her quick steady breathing and her little baby noises.
And I stay there as long as I can.
Our worlds as close as they can be, 
our breath mingling, creating a sweet scent.
I promise you, sleeping babies have the sweetest smell. 
This only lasts so long, because even now when I try to do this with my sleeping 7 and 5 year old, well, they stink.
Stinky sleeping breath, it's just not the same.  
There's only so much time to breathe in their sleeping sweetness.
And so I lay there until tears start to well up, 
tears of gratitude and 
so much love that my heart can't even handle it
And I meet with God.

"Babies are such a nice way to start people."
  ~Don Herrold