Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Crock pot Granola!

A dear friend, (thank you Jena) told me about making granola in the crock pot. I've been making granola for years, but always used the oven and found that keeping such a close eye on it got to be annoying. This is the recipe I've always used, just in a crock pot instead! It smells SO GOOD ALL DAY LONG and makes you want to eat some every time you go to stir it. It does take longer, but if you're home all day anyway, it's something nice to have going.

I will share the recipe in double batch form because if you make a single batch it will literally be gone in one day and then you will be sad.....so, just double it from the beginning!

8 cups old fashioned oats
3 cups sliced almonds, (I use sunflower seeds, flax seed, pumpkin seeds, any kind of seed if you don't have almonds....plus, sliced almonds can be alot of $).
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup honey, (I use pancake syrup if I'm out of honey)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups raisins or dried cranberries

Coat crock pot lightly w/ non-stick spray.

Pour dry ingredients into crock pot and stir.

In a saucepan warm the oil, honey and vanilla.
Pour over dry ingredients.

Keep crock pot on low for 4-5 hours, stir every 20-30 minutes, (or whenever you pass by, that's the way I gauge it). LEAVE LID CRACKED OPEN W/ THE WOODEN SPOON YOU USE TO STIR IT or it will get too moist. After it cools, add the raisins. You can also freeze this for up to 3 months. Eat and feed it to your children over yogurt, with milk, over ice cream or in a plastic baggie as a snack. ENJOY!

7 comments:

jena said...

dont forget to tell people to crack the lid open with the wooden spoon or it will be too moist!
from the dear friend :)

Lindsay said...

SWEEEEETNESS.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing... I'm looking forward to making some ;-)

AmyK said...

This sounds like a great idea! my oven doesn't bake evenly, so some granola is inevitable darker than the rest. thanks for sharing the tip. hope your conference trip goes well!

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to the kitchen to make this. Isn't this a cozy day? I love to make home a welcoming place for the girls when they get off the bus. this is sure to be a hit.
Von

Missy said...

thanks janelle! can't wait to try it when I get home!
oh and I loved enjoying your blog. your inspiring.

arenda said...

Great idea crockpot granola!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will try it soon :)