Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Early Mother's Day gift

Hello Friends!! My honey came home with a truckload of furniture last week; nasty, old, smelly furniture with brass handles and a gleam in his eye. "What is THAT?", I questioned? "I got it for free, I'd like to redo it for our bedroom, an early Mother's day gift!" Eyebrows up!! Let me begin by saying we never had a bedroom suite. Our first apartment was entirely too small, (our bed barely fit in the room), so we never bought/registered for one. When we moved here we just used odds and ends and I was happy with the eclectic look. I know when my husband sees vision, watch out because it will be: 1.) done quickly, 2.) be perfect and 3.) be way more beautiful then I could have ever imagined. So, I resigned myself to the fact that this furniture would have his undivided attention for a week...and so it was! It arrived on a Monday night and this past Saturday afternoon was moved in, (with the help of our brother-in-law Marlin....50 never looked so good, barely a sweat broke out)!! I just LOVE it, I hardly want to close my eyes at night and in the morning, when the sun shines through the windows it's the first thing I look at and just smile. On Saturday morning he asked me to come distress it. I used heavy duty sandpaper and it worked wonderfully....just a touch of old world around the corners. The dark wood came through right away and added so much. Here's a picture of the room BEFORE. I found that chest of drawers in someones trash pile along the road, touched it up a bit and it was ours! Other then that we didn't have any drawers, just his/hers closets.

Here's the view when you walk in now.

I hardly know what to do with all the drawer space I have. The adorable vintage bassinet you see to the right came from craigslist last week.
It was JUST what I've been waiting for.....wooden base with a wicker crib. It was in excellent shape and has been freshly laundered....ready and waiting!

I think the headboard is my favorite. I never knew how nice a headboard is.
We always just leaned against a wall.
It really feels like a beach retreat, so refreshing and soothing, a place of peace and refuge.
We enjoyed our Sunday at home...just being together, resting. A sort of calm before Baby arrives....a time to SLEEP and spend some quality time with the boys. I made my honey breakfast in bed, a much deserved reward...although had he done nothing
I still would have served him....rarely, if ever is he in bed after I get up so I took the opportunity.

Where time has been slipping I cannot say! Just tonight I realized that our baby is due in 3 weeks, I thought I had 4!!! I just don't FEEL ready yet, I have a list of things I'd like to organize before he/she arrives, but I'm not sure they will all get that lovely red check marked placed beside them....and I'll have to be okay with that. I don't think I FEEL emotionally ready either, it's just sneaking up on me so quickly!!! Where have these MONTHS gone? Now we're down to weeks, and only a few at that! I keep reminding myself that THE GRACE I NEED isn't here yet, it will fall on me, envelop me and sometimes come in a way I don't quite recognize when Baby arrives....this I KNOW and have experienced twice before and TRUST it will happen again.

"Yet the duties God requires of us are not in proportion to the strength we possess in ourselves. Rather, they are proportional to the resources available to us in Christ. We do not have the ability in ourselves to accomplish the least of God’s tasks. This is a law of grace. When we recognize it is impossible to perform a duty in our own strength, we will discover the secret of its accomplishment. But alas, this is a secret we often fail to discover."
~
John Owen~


Discovering God's grace for TODAY!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Uncle Jake is so wonderful at what he does! Tell him I said it looks Beautiful!!

baby names?? eh, eh?

Anonymous said...

LOVELY! Jake truly has a gift.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Looks just like it belongs in my new "Romantic Homes" magazine...seriously, the whole bedroom could be featured in it. So beautiful!! You have one talented man, Janelle!!

Jena said...

Just lovely...
what a blessing!

AmyK said...

lots and lots of character! - I think it looks great!

Vickie said...

Happy Mother's Day, yes! But also, Happy Labor Day! Happy Birthingday!
The serenity will be welcomed in a MAJOR was in a few weeks.

I love it, love it, love it!!!! Great job Jake!!!!

xoxoxox

tines said...

what a guy! excellent work jake! perfect gift for your sweet wife. oh janelle, those thoughts of yours re: your not feeling ready sound like something that would come from my mind. but i'm confident in that grace. surely He will not leave you alone as you face the tasks He's put before you. praying for you now girl. xo

Aimee said...

Your hubs did a great job! How FUN!!

My favorite things in the room are your chandalier and that adorable pink alarm clock!! :)

Enjoy it!

clarita barkman yoder said...

What a beautifully done project!! I love to see old pieces that someone had a vision for that have been redone into something just amazing! I love the white distressed look... Your bedroom looks so inviting and cozy! Makes me want to go work on ours a bit more! :)

I echo your thoughts about wondering WHERE the months went and suddenly Baby is about to arrive!! My pregnancy has just flown for me, and I've lost track of where I'm at in weeks so many times! I suddenly realized I have only 4 weeks left and NOT much ready at all! Almost panicking there, but even more so I don't feel emotionally ready either. I remember feeling the same way with Zoe, and then like you said, God's grace is so perfect in the moment that we need it. Needing to rely on that as well!

Many many blessings and much love to you in these last few weeks!
~clarita