Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, November 4, 2010

social media addiction


I've been spending too much time on here.

It's been on my mind a lot lately, especially since our delicious and relaxing time away at the cabin last weekend....with no social media within reach,
(well it was in reach via my nephews iPhone and I checked in once and was disappointed in myself for even doing that).




I don't want this computer to be an idol.

A part of the definition of idol is~~~
"one that is adored, often blindly or excessively."



I want to "GUARD MY HEART ABOVE ALL ELSE FOR IT IS THE
WELLSPRING OF LIFE", (Proverbs 4:23)


TRUE LIFE is not found on here or anywhere else on this earth,
IT IS FOUND IN THE SECRET PLACES OF MY HEART...your heart!!!!!!!



So, later today I'm going to go buy a timer to set by my computer.
And when my time is up, then the computer goes off.
It's SO EASY for hours......HOURS to pass without realizing it.


Apparently my time doesn't mean much to me
because I've been handing it out for free for way too long!!!



If you'd like to read a beautiful article about this, a convicting one to be sure, you can click here. I would really encourage you to take the time to read it.

Here's a sample:

"I think that many young women become addicted to social media and neglect their families and children out of a God given desire to be loved, to have friends who care, to feel a sense of importance–to push away the feeling that we are invisible in this world of ours. The desire to be loved and known and validated is God-given. Yet, He intended for us to have real community where we are loved and have a place to fit with family–cousins, grandparents, parents, siblings."


"He slept a summer by my side,
he filled my days with endless wonder,
he took my childhood in his stride,
but he was gone when autumn came. "

~"I dreamed a dream", Les Miserable~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN GIRL!
Just talking about this last night with friends. I like the idea of a timer, great accountability!